There’s really no specific season for garlic mashed potato casseroles. We can eat it throughout the year, even in hot Summer, because we’re that obsessed with mashed potatoes and gravy. Our last 3-cheese mashed potato bake recipe went way too crazy and viral because everyone loves their mashed potatoes. We were craving it again and decided to make another version of a mashed potato bake recipe by using tons of garlic. There’s always folks who absolutely love garlic in their mashed potatoes, so we decided to add a ton of it to this casserole, along with a good dose of cheesy goodness. Yup! So what you see before you is a gorgeous display for garlic mashed potato lovers. It’s perfect for Thanksgiving dinner, holidays, parties or anytime you want to wow a a crowd of mashed potato addicts.
Drool over is amazing garlic mashed potato casserole video:
Add some wonderful gravy like our mushroom gravy recipe or any gravy that you like. We’re always swimming our food in gravy and mashed potatoes is also the perfect companion to a few generous portions of gravy. For the cheese part of this mashed potato casserole, you can totally change it up to your favorite melty cheese. We love parmesan cheese because it adds great flavor. Or you can add some spicy pepper jack to amp up the flavors a bit. Spicy cheeses will also pair great with the fresh garlic in the mashed potatoes. Enjoy these potatoes at your next meal and hope you enjoy it as much as we did because we’re making at least one big batch a month. More than that we’ll have to hit the gym and that isn’t any fun. LOL.
Click here for popular–> 3-cheese mashed potato bake recipe:
This recipe was originally published in 205 and re-publihsed in 2020 with updated photos.
Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potato Casserole
- Butter or cooking spray
- 4 pounds (1.8 kg) potatoes (Russet or gold potatoes preferred)
- 1/2 cup (114 g) butter (1 stick)
- 6 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup (115 g) sour cream
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (170 g) shredded cheddar cheese or other mix, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (170 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt , to taste or Garlic Salt for more flavor
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup (30 g) plain bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs
- (optional) crispy slices of fried garlic on top for garnish
- (optional) minced parsley on top for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly butter or oil a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Cook the potatoes in a large pot of well salted boiling water until they are soft and tender. This should be about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size and type of potato.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt butter in sauce pan. Add minced garlic and cook until garlic becomes fragrant, but not burnt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl or back into the same pot. Add sour cream, milk and garlic butter. Mash the potatoes to your desired texture.
- Mix in the cheese, reserving about 1/4 cup of the cheddar for topping. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and bread crumbs over the mashed potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, until the cheese/bread crumb topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.Add optional garnishes and serve warm. Enjoy!
Enjoy more holiday potato recipes here. Enjoy!